The Machame Route gives you the greatest chance to make it to the summit (Uhuru Peak) and is a good all-rounder in terms of value for money and length of the climb.
It is also a chiefly scenic route as you ascend from the western side of Mount Kilimanjaro and run down the south face. Muddy Dusty has a very high victory record for Kilimanjaro trek on this route because most of his best guides was bone and live at Machame Village found on the slop of Mount Kilimanjaro.
The guides and crew that we use are brilliant. Some of the local guides have climbed and been trained by Kilimanjaro National Park Authority. Muddy Dusty Best award winning guide of Paul Morison Award 2007 Mr. Ramson Swai have summited over 450 times! They are key to your success, as they will motivate you and look after your every need, giving you the very best chance to get to the top. The high guide & porter to client ratio ensures a safe climb.
There’s no receiving away from the statement that it’s a tough climb, but it’s not technical, you don’t need climbing tackle and ropes and so on. All you have to do is walk slowly (Pole Pole) so the altitude doesn’t get you too much as you go upper, keep focused on your goal and keep optimistic. And of course you’ll be hiking through some unbelievable, awe inspirational scenery, with the support of your excellent guides and porters who have done this many many times before. They will absolutely keep you working, and look after you by putting up your tents and nourishing you good vigor meals each day. With you own energy and their help, you have every chance of making it to the top Uhuru Peak.
Day 1 : Pick up from Lodge/Hotel- Machame Gate 1840m – Machame Hut – 9kms – 6 to 7hrs – Altitude gain 1140m
To Machame Hut, 3000m. After a transfer to the park gate, a 7 hour walk through the forest takes you to Machame Hut. You camp throughout the climb, and your crew will take good care of you, erect and dismantle the camp, and provide you with tasty, filling food. Full board.
Day 2: Machame Hut 3000m to Shira Hut – 7kms – 5 to 6hrs – Altitude gain 800m To Shira Cave, 3800m.
An initial steep climb followed by a gentle incline. After lunch a descent and ascent brings you to the camp. Walking time approx. 5 hours. Full board.
Day 3: Shira Hut 3800m to Barranco Camp – 10kms – 6 to 7hrs – Altitude gain 700m down 600m
To Barranco Wall, 3900m. Today you climb slowly for some 5kms. Then you climb high to 4600m to lover tower and stay for 15 to 20 min for acclimatization then down to Barranco camp 3900m. This is a fairly strenuous day as the altitude begins to tell. Walking time approx. 8 hours. Full board.
Day 4: Barranco Camp 3900m to Barafu Hut – 8kms – 7 to 8hrs – Alt. gain 650m
To Barafu Camp, 4600m. Climb Barranco Wall to Karanga and excellent views of the West Breach and on to Barafu. Full board.
Day 5: Barafu Hut 4600m to UHURU PEAK 5895m — Millennium Camp 16kms – 12 to14hrs – Alt. gain 1295m down 2105m
Barafu to Uhuru, 5895m, then descend to Mweka, 3100m. You will wake at about midnight for the torchlight climb to Stella Point, approx. 7 hours with rest stops, and finally to the highest point, Uhuru Peak with fantastic views of glaciers and plains far below. Descend to Mweka or High Camp, arriving late afternoon. Full board.
Day 6: Millennium Camp 3730m to Mweka Gate 1800m – 13kms – 5 to 6hrs – Descend 1650m – Transfer to Lodge/Hotel
To Moshi. A descent of some 4 hours takes you to Mweka Village where you are met and transferred back to the Hotel. Full board
Included in price package
• Private transport to & from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your accommodations in Moshi.
• 2 nights of accommodation at Park view inn or Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel
• Transportation to & from the Kilimanjaro gate
• Park entry fees,
• Camping fees
• Team Kilimanjaro Rescue fees
• 18% VAT on tour fees & services
• 4 Season mountain tents
• Double layered Sleeping Mats
• Friendly and professional mountain guides, cook and porters
• 3 hot meals daily while on the mountain
• Enough treated & filtered drinking water throughout the trek
• Hot water for washing
• Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
• Government taxes
• Portable oxygen tanks & ox meter
• Emergency first-aid kit
– Lunches, dinners and drinks at your hotel before and after climb.
– Travel insurance
– Portable flush toilet with a toilet tent is available for extra charges $ 70 for the entire trek.
– Laundry (Available at hotel)
– Personal items and toiletries
– Tips for guides, porters and cook (this is a guide to tipping on the mountain
Tipping on Kilimanjaro from the trekking group (not per climber):
• Guides: $20/day/guide
• Cook: $15/day
• Porter: $10/day/porter